Focus Area Description: Explore the world of weather with meteorologists, storm chasers, and other weather professionals.
Our current library of 30 videos in this Focus Area are available in the subareas listed to the right; to view them click a thumbnail and become a member of Educate.Today.
To see sample videos in this area of the collection, click any of the titles below:
New November 2022! Lightning and Thunder and Their Relation to Speed (Member Created Video)
How Do You Interpret the Radar to Find a Tornado?
Quick Ideas for Using our Wondering About Weather Videos:
- Use the videos as a conversation starter for a class discussion on a topic linked to your study.
- Use the videos with journal prompts for students to write about as they respond to/reflect on content included in the video.
- Use the videos with a lesson plan/unit plan which has students monitoring the weather and reporting on it to their peers. Have students act as a meteorologist reporting weather conditions they have observed over the course of a number of days.
- Use the videos with a lesson plan/unit plan where students build their own weather instruments or follow weather instrument readings online in their area. Have students develop their own weather forecast based on what they learn from the instruments and other online resources and then present that forecast to their peers.
- Provide the videos for students to view independently to satisfy their own curiosity/interest in the topic highlighted.
- Use the videos in class as you and your students study the causes and impacts of different weather phenomena.
- Have students include insights gained through the videos as part of their projects, papers, and presentations on a topic of your or their choice:
- interpreting and/or summarizing what they saw and learned in the video.
- citing quotations from the expert in the video.