Focus Area Description: Use the power of primary sources and historical reenactment to go back in time to America in the 19th century.
Our current library of 39 videos in this Focus Area are available in the subareas listed to the right; to view them click a thumbnail and become a member of Educate.Today.
To see sample videos in this area of the collection, click any of the titles below:
New January 2023! Ceremonial Sioux War Club
New November 2022! Buffalo Soldiers on Bicycles: The US Army Experiment of the “Iron Riders”
New October 2022! French Colonial Living History on the Frontier: Meet Joffrey Boyer
Quick Ideas for Using our American Frontier Videos:
- Use the videos as a conversation starter for a class discussion on a topic, event, or person linked to your study of the American Frontier, Westward Expansion, Manifest Destiny, etc.
- Use the videos with journal prompts for students to write about as they respond to/reflect on content included in the video.
- Use the videos in class to supplement student understanding of life during/events in 19th century American westward expansion.
- Use the videos with lesson plans you create that have students research a particular topic, person, or event related to your study of the American frontier and use information from the videos in a first person re-creation/re-enactment they create to demonstrate their learning.
- Have students include insights gained through the videos as part of their projects, papers, and presentations on a history-related subject by:
- interpreting and/or summarizing what they saw and learned in the video.
- citing quotations from the expert in the video.