Using Cross Curricular Approaches
Cross curricular approaches can be extremely effective ways to inspire student interest in a subject, demonstrate real world connections between subjects being studied, and build on a student’s own interests and strengths to demonstrate their understanding and/or point of view on a subject.
The resources in this tool kit are designed to give you some ideas on how to use cross curricular approaches in your classroom, provide you sample lesson plans and templates to build from, and link you to additional resources on the topic. Additional cross curricular activity idea and lesson plan Teacher Tools can be found with many videos throughout the Educate.Today website.
Have a lesson plan, article you’ve written, or a video of a student project incorporating a cross curricular approach that you’d like us to look at for possible publication on our Educate.Today website? Send us the completed form you’ll find here and we’ll get back in touch.
Teacher Tool 643: Using Cross Curricular Approaches--Sample Lesson Plans
Download this document to find some sample cross curricular activity ideas and lesson plans you can use with students in a wide variety of subject areas to demonstrate their learning in a wide variety of ways. Current contents include lesson plans on the following:
1. Create Your Own Timeline--connecting history and media arts to any subject of your or the student's choice
2 Traveling on the River--connecting STEM, physics, and engineering to study of transportation and/or geography
3. Sharing Insights Through a Newspaper Article--connecting student study on any area of your or their choice with writing a newspaper article to demonstrate their learning
4. Linking Music to History--connecting student study of any particular period of history to music of that period
5. Expressing Understanding Through Drama--connecting student study on any area of your or their choice with expressing their understanding of that subject through a dramatic scene
6. Create Your Own "Where is That?" Video--connecting geography, history, and media arts to any subject of your or the student's choice
Teacher Tool 677: The Value of Cross Curricular Approaches
Download this document to read articles by current and retired teachers offering their ideas, experiences, and resources on how to successfully use cross curricular activities and lessons in the classroom.Download