Focus Area Description: Explore world events from 1980 to today with those who were there when it happened and historians, scholars and authors sharing primary source insights.
Our current library of 18 videos in this Focus Area are available in the “Related” column to the right; to view them click a thumbnail and become a member of Educate.Today.
To see sample videos in this area of the collection, click any of the titles below:
A Conversation with Paul Rusesabagina
My Experience in Desert Storm: Sergeant Phyllis Williams
Quick Ideas for Using our Recent World History Videos:
- Provide the videos for students to view independently to gain insights into any particular event or to satisfy their own curiosity/interest in any particular wartime period.
- Use the videos as a conversation starter for a class discussion on a topic, event, or person linked to the event you are studying.
- Use the videos with journal prompts for students to write about as they respond to/reflect on content included in the video.
- Use the videos with lesson plans you create that have students research a particular time period, event, or person through secondary sources first and then gain first person perspective from the video. As part of the activity, have students evaluate how the primary source impacted their learning/understanding.
- Have students include insights gained through the videos as part of their projects, papers, and presentations on a history subject by:
- interpreting and/or summarizing what they saw and learned in the video.
- citing quotations from the expert in the video.