Focus Area Description: Enjoy the study of maps and place geography through first person video stories, topical videos, and interviews.
Our current library of 28 videos in this Focus Area are available in the subareas listed to the right; to view them click a thumbnail and become a member of Educate.Today.
To see sample videos in this area of the collection, click any of the titles below:
New July 2022! Creating a Map Using ArcGIS Online
What It’s Like to Live in Marcos Juarez, Argentina
Where is That? Weather
Quick Ideas for Using our Maps and Place Geography Videos:
- Use the videos as a conversation starter for a class discussion linked to the topic or place you are studying.
- Use the videos with journal prompts for students to write about as they respond to/reflect on content included in the video.
- Use the videos in class to provide first person descriptions of different places where people live.
- Use the “What It’s Like to Live In…” videos as example videos with lesson plans you create that have students research a particular location through secondary and primary sources and then create their own video showing what it is like to live there.
- Provide the videos for students to view independently to satisfy their own curiosity/interest in maps or a particular location.
- Use the “What It’s Like to Live In…” videos as example videos with lesson plans you create that have students independently or in small groups create their own video on what it’s like to live in their community. Consider sharing the videos on the school district website or another public forum of your choice.
- Use the videos as part of your students’ study of maps and how to read and use them.
- Have students include insights gained through the videos as part of their projects, papers, and presentations on a geography-related subject by:
- interpreting and/or summarizing what they saw and learned in the video.
- citing quotations from the expert in the video.