Focus Area Description: Discover the challenges and opportunities in diverse careers from the people in those careers as they share their experiences, insights, and inspiration.
Our current library of 111 videos in this Focus Area are available in the subareas listed to the right; to view them click a thumbnail and become a member of Educate.Today.
To see sample videos in this area of the collection, click any of the titles below:
New April 2023! Working in Film Animation
The Impact of Microagressions: An Example in Medicine
Being an Audio Engineer
Building a Career – A Conversation with Joan Elhoffer
Changing the World Through Science, Lan Yang is an Inspiration for Women
Quick Ideas for Using our Career Experiences In… Videos:
- Give students the opportunity to explore careers of interest on their own.
- Give students interested in a specific career insights into that career. Have them report on what they learned, what was new to them, what were the most important insights they gained, etc.
- As part of their study, have students go into their community to interview/shadow people in various careers. Prior to conducting their own interviews or starting their shadowing experience, have students watch videos to help them determine questions to ask and how to organize a video or presentation they create to tell about their experience.
- Have students view one or more videos in a career area they are NOT interested in and then report on what they learned, what they gained a new appreciation for in that career, etc.
- Have students view a number of videos across careers to identify characteristics, process, or practices that are “universal” and to respond to why they think those items came up so often.
- Give students a real world perspective on what goes into a specific career.
- Have students include insights gained through the videos as part of their projects, papers, and presentations on a careers-related subject by:
- interpreting and/or summarizing what they saw and learned in the video.
- citing quotations from the expert in the video.