Focus Area Description: Scientists, engineers, pilots, and astronauts share examples of design, construction, and operation of space/aircraft, and the application of STEM principles in their work.
Our current library of 42 videos in this Focus Area are available in the “Related” column to the right; to view them click a thumbnail and become a member of Educate.Today.
To see sample videos in this area of the collection, click any of the titles below:
New March 2023! The Communications system for the Mercury Project
New February 2023! Assembling the Mercury Capsule
Flying a Sailplane
Flying an Aerobatic Stunt Plane
Quick Ideas for Using our STEM in Aviation, Aeronautics, and Astronautics Videos:
- Use the videos as a conversation starter for a class discussion on a topic related to STEM.
- Use the videos with journal prompts for students to write about as they respond to/reflect on content included in the video.
- Use the videos to make cross-curricular connections with the topic areas highlighted in each video.
- Use the videos with lesson plans you create that have students develop their own STEM-focused video on an aviation, aeronautics, or astronautics subject of their choice. Share the videos that students create on the school district website or other public forum of your choice.
- Provide the videos for students to view independently to satisfy their own curiosity/interest in the topic highlighted.
- Have students view videos to identify STEM concepts they see in action. These can be shared in class discussion or through a student worksheet or journal entry.
- Have students include insights gained through the videos as part of their projects, papers, and presentations on a STEM-related subject by:
- interpreting and/or summarizing what they saw and learned in the video.
- citing quotations from the expert in the video.